I am very blessed to have three wonderful mothers that have contributed to making me the person I am today. Mary Moore gave me life. Ollie Jones raised me. Renee Walker is mother to my husband.
Mary Elizabeth Moore (22 Apr 1925 - 31 Aug 1976) gave me the gift of life in Methodist Hospital in Dallas, Texas. She was unable to raise me herself and sought the help of friends to find an adoptive family that could provide for and love me. Regrettably, I never got to meet her in person. I can only imagine the love and pain she felt in making the decision to have her daughter raised by someone else. But she did what she felt was best for me, and I love her for it. Though I never saw her, I do have good relationships with my brothers and sisters with whom I share our Mom. Billy, Linda, Jim, Pam, and me. Yep, I'm the baby. :)
At the very early age of 3 days old, my adoptive parents took over the job of getting me grown. Ollie Bigham Jones (13 Aug 1921 - 29 Feb 2004) was a stay-at-home mom, PTA mom, sit-in-the-car-for-music-lessons mom, and a do-what-you-have-to-do-to-raise-the-kids mom. I never fully understood the depth of commitment Mother showed me week after week listening to my squeaky violin playing, driving me to lessons for violin, piano, and voice and waiting in the car until the lesson was over to drive me home. I always knew she would be at school for all our programs and activities. I also knew I'd best behave or she would be at school for a different reason. And, yes, I did behave. Mother taught me how to cook and many other things. It was her writing a letter when I was 17 that initiated contact with my biological family. I love her and miss her very much.
After "growing up" I met and married my Prince Charming. I became Mrs. Randy Walker at 2:22pm on June 24, 2006. In the process I gained a whole new family. Randy's mother, Renee Walker, is a wonderful, sweet, loving woman who cares for me as a mother would. I greatly enjoy the time I get to spend with her catching up on the kids, trading recipes, or just talking. She is always prompt in calling to say thank you for anything done for her, no matter how small it may seem at the time. I am proud to have Renee Mom for my mother-in-law. There isn't any better.
No story of the mothers in my life would be complete without mentioning my own four darling children. Having them elevated me to the status of "Mom." I could go on all day about my kids. They are each unique and special in their own ways. When Deborah married Daniel Scott, I gained a wonderful son-in-law to add to my flock. Being a mother myself has taught me many things like patience, being open-minded, and the indescribable, unconditional love that comes from a mother to her children. As I have told my kids since they were babies, "I love you ALWAYS and FOREVER." No matter how far they go, what choices they make, or how long we're together, I love you, Eli, Deborah, Sarah, Daniel James, and Daniel Scott.
This story of Mothers is not yet complete. There is one more "mother" to mention. My very good friend, Cheryl Copeland, is GodMother to my children. Without her assistance, raising my children would have been very difficult. GMC (God-Mother Cheryl) takes care of the kids as well as I feel I can. She is always only a phone call away for any of us at any time of day or night. When the girls had proms, dances, or even a wedding, they got ready at her house. I got to enjoy the time with them. GMC took care of all the motherly instructions we give before sending our children out on their own. All the kids have taken turns staying at her house helping out or just hanging out.
I am truly blessed to have all these mothers and children in my life. To all who are reading this that are mothers… Celebrate being a mother, cherish your time with your children, and never miss an opportunity to tell them you love them.







A truly lovely tribute to the Mothers in our family. And we have some really great ones - especially the author!
ReplyDeleteLove you,
Randy
I liked this blog post. And that mother's day.
ReplyDeleteDeborah
That is a really great portrait of you and your mom... the one with you wearing the blue dress. That photgrapher is obviously VERY talented! Who took that? I wonder?
ReplyDeleteThe portrait was probably taken by the ANONYMOUS person who made the comment above! Guess he's too old to remember to sign his name.
ReplyDelete