Poteet High Senior Night was November 2nd. Randy and I got to sit in the stands with Daniel in the band block. It was one of the highlights of being a mother to my wonderful children. I can't speak for anybody else, but I had a blast. The weather was perfect for a Friday night football game.
Of course the music was awesome as always. I enjoyed getting to sit by Daniel and really hear his parts. Daniel was on our right, and Gretta was on our left. Phenomenal musicians on both sides.
Now, let's go through the events of the evening. We arrived at 6:00 and went in the side gates of the stadium with the band. It was interesting watching the band assemble themselves. We climbed to the top of the bleachers to where Daniel sits in the band block. It was a long way up... or at least it seemed that way to me. :)
Once settled, the band played through their warmups and went through their show music. I had fun just watching.
Band call time 6:05 for the game.
We went in with the band and up into the stands, the very steep stands. :)
My Alma Mater... E. H. Hanby Stadium at Mesquite High School
Poteet uniform sleeve
Daniel sits near the top of the band.
This is the view looking down from our seats.
Daniel's best friend since Kindergarten... Blake
Gretta is second chair trumpet and Daniel's girlfriend.
Warming up
Daniel's solo up close and personal. :) The last six plus years of trumpet lessons are paying off. He's got wonderful sound.
Daniel warming up his solo on the sideline
The high point of the evening occurred a little after 7. All the seniors and their parents were called to come down to the sideline to line up to be introduced. This brought back memories of when Sarah was a Senior and nominated for Band Sweetheart. I stood on the sidelines with her waiting for introductions, too. That night I got mud on my heels and had taken them off to clean just as we were called to the field. I ended up walking out with her barefooted with my shoes hidden by my side! For Daniel's introduction I wore tennis shoes! But...I digress.
Back to Senior Night....We were in alphabetical order, so Daniel was last. We decided that was good except for when they went in reverse order. Then he had to pay close attention to what was happening... like this time when he had to pay attention to instructions on when and where to walk to the field for introductions.
Randy, me, Daniel, and Mark waiting for the Seniors to be introduced, and we're all smiling.
Lots of Seniors waiting to be recognized.
Photos while waiting.
Walking down the sideline to wait some more. Football seniors were introduced first.
"The wave" to a friend.
More pictures and more waiting. Wow, I am really short!
Thanks, Mrs. Moss, band chaperone, for taking pictures for me.
Not sure what Mark is gazing at. The other three of us were examining the paint on the grass. Yes, the waiting was pretty boring, but fun.
Very long line of band Seniors with their parents and families. :)
Meanwhile, back in the stands.... Beautiful Gretta!
After the Senior introductions, the game started. The band played the National Anthem. Listen for the final highest note. That's Daniel!
Even though it's all about the band, there was a football game going on, too. ;)
This night, second to the Senior introductions, was the halftime show. Poteet's band is the best. Go Poteet!
Senior parents left in the stands when the band went to play at halftime.
Ready for halftime performance
Daniel's solo...I love the white flags behind him.
The Push... the whole band lines up shoulder to shoulder marching across the field. Awesome!
Ending pose. Seniors don't wear their hats on Senior night.
After the band performance, they play on the sidelines for the drill team to perform.
The band gets a break for the third quarter. The trumpets won section of the week two weeks in a row. Daniel's treat for them was candy, lots of candy. He didn't have to bring his hat, so he filled his hat box to overflowing with candy. During the third quarter he passed it out to the trumpets, band, and even parents.
The fourth quarter is time crazy antics and silliness. Keep an eye out for the guy in the top right portion of the video.
The moon and the evening were beautiful.
Winning the game with a score of 59-7 was another bonus of the night.
After the game was over, the field empty, and the stands deserted, the band Seniors got one more special recognition from their peers. They were all called down to the field level and sang the school song.
Gretta, Daniel, and Blake
Blake and Daniel... best friends since Kindergarten through school, baseball, band, high school and more.
It was a wonderful, exhilarating night. I was very tired, but also very proud to have the privilege of this evening.
No comments:
Post a Comment